Design Currency – Marian Bantjes and Ian Grais
Some of my notes on the rest of the morning of day two and my thinking in italics.
Marian Bantjes – Designer and Artist
- I am an artist who has made it in the business of design; hostile to strategic business of design.
- What is art? What is design? Reoccurs over and over again; see even ‘graphic’ is being banished
- for communication.
- Inspire: to breathe in… gasp… inspiration is a moment of surprise.
- Days as a strategic designer are over and days as a graphic artist began.
- Inspiration: don’t confuse with persuasion/influence; inspiration is cross-pollinating,may inspire scientist, doctor or babysitter; can’t measure.
- That’s why I do what I do; I want as many people as possible to see my work, notice it, and take something from it.
- (More of the essence of Marian’s talk can be found on her site here.)
Ian Grais – Rethink
- Design is kung foo: but a sticker on a loony! Oil from oil sands to Kitimat, example of doing more with less.
- Arial cabon light – font; reduces carbon footprint.
- Design is stratecution: what to say and then how to say; too many ideas; need visionary.
- Design is leadership; generate a lot of ideas and making sense. (Great Rethink video here on ideas.)
- Ask ourselves “craft”: is it clear, relevant, achievable, fresh, true?
- What is design’s value? What values should we design? Really need to ask ourselves that. (I loved the power of this question.)
- You have one assignment = you.
- Hope you work in an environment with enough fresh air and water to let it out.